Pages

Monday, September 25, 2017

TRANSFERWARE, FRANCIS BARLOW, AND AESOP'S FABLES





Spode (1770-1833) 19 inch platter "The Dog in the Manger," ca. 1833.
 
If you have been following my blog, you know I enjoy finding the source prints that inspired transferware patterns.  I have found many source prints, but until recently I never heard of the artist Francis Barlow (ca. 1626-1704).  He was an English painter, etcher, and illustrator.  I discovered him when I looked for the source print that depicts the Aesop's Fable "The Bear and the Bee Hives."  (See my blog post titled "Bears Grease, Aesop's Fables, and Source Prints" here.) I learned that Barlow illustrated a book of Aesop's Fables that was published around 1665, so I thought I'd see if other Barlow prints appear on pottery.  I found a few pottery examples in the Transferware Collectors Club Database of Patterns and Sources.


Francis Barlow's "The Dog in the Manger" 17th century print.

Below are ceramics, mainly from Spode and Copeland & Garrett's "Aesop's Fables" series that are copied from Francis Barlow's illustrations.

Spode (1770-1833) vegetable tureen base "The Wolf and the Crane," ca. 1832.

Francis Barlow's "The Wolf and the Crane."
Copeland & Garrett (1833-1847) gravy boat "The Peacock and the Crane," ca. 1833.


Francis Barlow "The Crane and the Peacock."

I also found a beaker, perhaps intended for a child, that features Barlow's illustration for the fable "The Cat and the Roasted Chestnuts."

Child's 2.5 inch cup or beaker. The title, "Nonsence," is a misspelling of the word "nonsense." The pattern illustrates the Aesop's Fable, "The Ape, the Cat and the Roasted Chestnuts."

Francis Barlow "The Cat and the Roasted Chestnuts."


W.T. Copeland (& Sons) 1847-1970 soup tureen lid "The Fox, the Hare and the Tortoise," ca. 1900


Francis Barlow "The Tortoise and the Hare."
Spode (1770-1833) 16.75 inch platter "The Fox and the Goat," ca. 1832

Francis Barlow "The Fox and the Goat."
Spode (1770-1833) footed bowl "The Leopard and the Fox," ca. 1832

Francis Barlow "The Leopard and the Fox."

Barlow did the illustrations for another book titled "Animals of Various Species Accurately Drawn." I realized that the frontispiece was found on a child's mug that features the word's "A Present for my Dear Boy."  I always thought the pattern was inappropriate for a child, although my grandsons didn't worry about the goose being carried off by the fox! 


Francis Barlow frontispiece for "Animals of Various Species, etc."


"A Present For My Dear Boy" 2 inch mug, ca. 1830.

I saw another pattern that looked familiar in "The Animals of Various Species."  It showed a bird of prey menacing some chickens.  I vaguely remembered owning a jug with the same pattern. It took me a long time to find it, as it was hidden away in a cupboard.   I bought it in 1990.



Drabware jug with a silver resist border.  It is printed in black and painted over the glaze.


Francis Barlow print

Here's another pattern that features the same barnyard scene.  I think the hawk is trying to capture some of the chicks.




And another that resides in the TCC database.





As for the drabware jug with the silver resist border, I put it on my dresser.


The drabware jug now resides on my dresser.

One more thing.  Does anyone know  pottery patterns that make use of any of the animals found on the Aesop's Fables frontispiece seen below?  Or, any more patterns that make use of Francis Barlow's illustrations?  There must be more.


Frontispiece for Aesop's Fables illustrated by Francis Barlow, ca. 1665.  I suggest clicking on the picture to enlarge it.  Doesn't the eagle look familiar?

No comments:

Post a Comment